Since 1999, the Oficina Española de Patentes y Marcas (OEPM) and the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM) have sustained and supported a Collaborative Agreement for the cataloguing and study of the historical archive of patents and trademarks.
The outcomes of this Agreement are pivotal in diverse areas:
- Development, maintenance and supply of large and carefully maintained databases of patents and trademarks for the scientific community, not only useful for investigators but for the general public.
- Promotion of PHD's and research projects associated with Economic History, Science, Technology or Engineering, among many other disciplines which are benefiting from access to the catalogued information.
- Training of university students on the acquisition of industrial and intellectual property management skills, as well as on large database organisation, archive administration, documentation, digital resources administration and especially, historical investigation.
- Stimulation of similar projects in the European field, in which the investigative groups have been fully integrated, contributing their pioneering experience.
- Diffusion and summarizing of knowledge to society through books, exhibits or by employing the use of digital gateways such as the Virtual Museum on Industrial Property.